I’m an editor for AccessoryDwellings.org, a site edited by 3 volunteers in Portland, Oregon. It is a one-stop source about accessory dwelling units, multigenerational homes, laneway houses, ADUs, granny flats, in-law units.
Here’s some of my latest posts on that website.
- Portland, Oregon’s ADU Permit Data for 2020 July 22, 2021 2:35 pmAs of July, 2021, there have been approximately 3,350 total permits issued for ADUs in Portland. Here’s the latest annual permit trend chart.
- Tiny Houses and RVs To Be Allowed as Housing in Portland April 29, 2021 7:59 amOn April 28th, 2021, Portland’s City Council unanimously passed a new set of regulations that allows for recreational vehicles and tiny houses on wheels to be used as a legal, viable housing option on residential properties in the City of Portland beginning on August 1st, 2021.
- ADU Legislative Initiatives- History in the Making (Part IV) August 17, 2020 2:30 pmOn August 12th, 2020, the City of Portland finally passed the Residential Infill Project. This was an overhaul of single family residential zoning regulations that was nearly five years in the making. This post will cover the changes that are coming with Residential Infill Project and also tease you with what is to come with Oregon's House Bill 2001.
- Rate of Inhabited Mobile Dwellings on Residential Properties in One Portland Neighborhood July 17, 2020 3:20 pmIn June, 2020, I conducted some voluntary research to determine how many single family residential properties had an inhabited mobile dwelling. The Cully neighborhood consists of 12,595 residents, or 4,685 households. My survey found 65 inhabited mobile dwellings located on residentially zoned lots, which translates to a rate of 0.005/resident.
- Incremental Updates for ADUs for 2020 January 8, 2020 3:00 pmHere’s some notable stuff for those interested in ADU minutiae in the Portland market and beyond. It's a mashup of information and updates that will be of interest to ADU advocates: ADU Permit Numbers, MLS, Mapping ADUs, SDCs, ADU events in April 2020, Summit videos, oh my.
- ADU Advocates’ Unsanctioned Guidance for Oregon Cities Updating Local ADU Regulations by January, 2020 to Comply with HB 2001 Statute November 18, 2019 3:00 pmTwo of the most common “poison pills” in ADU standards will be prohibited statewide in Oregon beginning in January, 2020, making earlier ADU legislation significantly more effective. Oregon House Bill 2001 (HB 2001) was signed into law on August 8th, 2019. While HB 2001 rightly claimed headlines for expanding missing middle housing options, it also included some specific requirements for ADUs.
- ADU Legislative Initiatives- History in the Making (Part III) September 18, 2019 2:00 pmSeveral significant bills passed through the legislative process in California last week. This legislation that passed in CA is major and will help usher ADUs out of the dark ages.
- ADU Legislative Initiatives- History in the Making (Part II) August 22, 2019 2:00 pmAs reviewed in my first post on this topical thread, significant and progressive legislative and regulatory ADU code overhauls are occuring at quickening pace in jurisdictions up and down the west coast. I've been tracking ADU regulatory reform fairly closely for a decade, and there hasn't ever been a time period where ADUs have been gaining as much national traction as they are now.
- Announcing the next Build Small Live Large Summit and the next ADU Academy. November 7th and 8th, 2019. Portland, Oregon. August 11, 2019 3:00 pmTwo national, back-to-back events on November 7th and 8th in Portland, Oregon
- Recap of 2019 ADU Tour July 23, 2019 3:00 pmThe ADU Tour in June was a blast. Approximately 800 people attended. We've made the 17 project profiles public. You can find them here.