I’m an editor for AccessoryDwellings.org, a site edited by 3 volunteers in Portland, Oregon. It is a one-stop source about accessory dwelling units, multigenerational homes, laneway houses, ADUs, granny flats, in-law units.
Here’s some of my latest posts on that website.
- ADU Development Costs Keep Going Up May 28, 2019 3:00 pmI've updated an extensive post about ADU development costs here. These updates are based new cost numbers that just came in from the upcoming 2019 ADU Tour in Portland, which serves as a repository of current and active primary source data for cost estimates. It turns out that current primary source data is critical when it comes to talking about the costs of ADUs, because the development cost numbers here keep escalating rapidly.
- 2019 is the Year of ADU Financing Innovation May 16, 2019 3:30 pmFinancing ADUs has remained a major challenge. But, in the future, 2019 will always be thought of as the year of ADU financing innovation. On April 29th, Portland State University convened a meeting in Washington, D.C to help flesh out some of the innovative programs that are being developed to finance ADUs.
- Seventeen ADUs! April 29, 2019 2:30 pmI don't know what I was thinking.I couldn't help myself. I kept saying yes; I couldn't resist. Now, look what I've done.Maybe you're wondering what am I talking about. I'm talking about this year's ADU Tour, of course!
- Announcing Accessory Dwelling Academy and The ADU Tour February 11, 2019 4:30 pmOn June 21st, 2019, we are running a new professional education event designed for builders, designers, lenders, realtors and appraisers who aspire to up their ADU game and stand out from the competition.
- ADU Permit Trends in Portland in 2017 and 2018 January 14, 2019 4:30 pmThis post details some findings about ADU permit trends in Portland. First, we'll start with the big picture. Here's the latest data on the number of permits issued by the City of Portland for ADUs from 2000-2018. In 2017, 588 permits were issued. In 2018, 660 were issued. This is a total of 1248 ADU permits issued in 2017 and 2018.
- Portland’s next ADU Tour is happening on June 22nd, 2019. October 15, 2018 5:00 pmPortland’s next ADU Tour will be on Saturday, June 22nd Save the date! More tour information will be posted on AccessoryDwellings.org this winter.
- ADU Legislative Initiatives Abound May 2, 2018 12:13 pmSDC Waiver, Residential Infill Project, Oregon and California state legislative updates.... There are significant ADU legislative initiatives underway in California, Porltand, and Oregon at large. Each of these legislative efforts have national signficance.
- Basement/Garage Conversion Open House on Thursday, April 19th April 16, 2018 5:30 pmFor those of you in Portland, I'm having an open house event this Thursday, April 19th at my recently completed basement/garage conversion ADU from 4-7pm. I hope to see you there.
- Backdoor Revolution- Part V- Why Vancouver, BC has Done a Lot of ADU-Related Things Right January 23, 2018 2:00 pmBackdoor Revolution- The Definitive Guide to ADU Development is officially live! ...Vancouver, British Columbia is the North American leader in ADU development. Among the most notable things that Vancouver has done is allowed both a secondary suite and a laneway home on the same property. Other US cities (Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington) are considering this idea now, but to my knowledge, no US cities allow it yet.
- Backdoor Revolution- Part IV- Top Ten Reasons Why Basement Conversion ADUs and Detached ADUs Are Like Chalk and Cheese January 18, 2018 5:00 pmBasement ADUs and detached ADUs are totally different creatures. As I began to write my book and researched ADUs of all types, I strongly considered writing a totally separate book about basement ADUs. I ultimately decided to concurrently capture basement ADUs along with other structural forms in the same ADU book.