I’m an editor for AccessoryDwellings.org, a site edited by 3 volunteers in Portland, Oregon. It is a one-stop source about accessory dwelling units, multigenerational homes, laneway houses, ADUs, granny flats, in-law units.
Here’s some of my latest posts on that website.
- ADU Legislative Initiatives- History in the Making (Part III) September 18, 2019 2:00 pmSeveral significant bills passed through the legislative process in California last week. This legislation that passed in CA is major and will help usher ADUs out of the dark ages.
- ADU Legislative Initiatives- History in the Making (Part II) August 22, 2019 2:00 pmAs reviewed in my first post on this topical thread, significant and progressive legislative and regulatory ADU code overhauls are occuring at quickening pace in jurisdictions up and down the west coast. I've been tracking ADU regulatory reform fairly closely for a decade, and there hasn't ever been a time period where ADUs have been gaining as much national traction as they are now.
- Announcing the next Build Small Live Large Summit and the next ADU Academy. November 7th and 8th, 2019. Portland, Oregon. August 11, 2019 3:00 pmTwo national, back-to-back events on November 7th and 8th in Portland, Oregon
- Recap of 2019 ADU Tour July 23, 2019 3:00 pmThe ADU Tour in June was a blast. Approximately 800 people attended. We've made the 17 project profiles public. You can find them here.
- ADU Legislative Initiatives- History in the Making (Part I) July 8, 2019 2:30 pmThe 24-hour period from the afternoon of Sunday, June 29th- afternoon Monday, June 30th, 2019, was an important day for ADUs. In the future, urban planners will point to that day as a signature moment for an era of deregulation and liberalization of codes for ADUs.
- ADU Development Costs Keep Going Up May 28, 2019 3:00 pmI've updated an extensive post about ADU development costs here. These updates are based new cost numbers that just came in from the upcoming 2019 ADU Tour in Portland, which serves as a repository of current and active primary source data for cost estimates. It turns out that current primary source data is critical when it comes to talking about the costs of ADUs, because the development cost numbers here keep escalating rapidly.
- 2019 is the Year of ADU Financing Innovation May 16, 2019 3:30 pmFinancing ADUs has remained a major challenge. But, in the future, 2019 will always be thought of as the year of ADU financing innovation. On April 29th, Portland State University convened a meeting in Washington, D.C to help flesh out some of the innovative programs that are being developed to finance ADUs.
- Seventeen ADUs! April 29, 2019 2:30 pmI don't know what I was thinking.I couldn't help myself. I kept saying yes; I couldn't resist. Now, look what I've done.Maybe you're wondering what am I talking about. I'm talking about this year's ADU Tour, of course!
- Announcing Accessory Dwelling Academy and The ADU Tour February 11, 2019 4:30 pmOn June 21st, 2019, we are running a new professional education event designed for builders, designers, lenders, realtors and appraisers who aspire to up their ADU game and stand out from the competition.
- ADU Permit Trends in Portland in 2017 and 2018 January 14, 2019 4:30 pmThis post details some findings about ADU permit trends in Portland. First, we'll start with the big picture. Here's the latest data on the number of permits issued by the City of Portland for ADUs from 2000-2018. In 2017, 588 permits were issued. In 2018, 660 were issued. This is a total of 1248 ADU permits issued in 2017 and 2018.