I’m an editor for AccessoryDwellings.org, a site edited by 3 volunteers in Portland, Oregon. It is a one-stop source about accessory dwelling units, multigenerational homes, laneway houses, ADUs, granny flats, in-law units.
Here’s some of my latest posts on that website.
- Backdoor Revolution- Part II- Informal ADUs January 11, 2018 8:45 pmOne significant part of my book research was about informal ADUs. While permitted ADUs are still fairly rare, informal ADU (a.k.a. unpermitted ADUs) are not. In writing Backdoor Revolution, I discovered that informal ADUs have a lot to teach us. The book is now available for pre-order on Amazon.
- Backdoor Revolution – Part I – Origin January 8, 2018 7:27 pmIn 2013, I was observing ADU trends in the US by tracking Google News Alerts and reading academic articles.... I’ve spent the last 2.5 years on this book, and I am proud to finally release it to the world on January 23rd, 2018.
- Building an ADU in L.A.- Part II (excerpt) October 19, 2017 8:32 pmBetween 2003-2016, an average of one hundred permitted ADUs had been developed each year in L.A.. While 100 ADUs a year is something, it's certainly not a lot of housing for a city with a population of nearly four million people, and 1.4 million housing units. But, 2017 has entirely changed the landscape for ADUs in California at large. And, L.A. has done something that no one expected. DRUM ROLL......
- The First National ADU Summit on November 3-5 in Portland September 26, 2017 2:00 pmThe Build Small Live Large Summit is the first ever national gathering of leaders in ADU policymaking, design and development. ADU industry practicioners across the country will convene to share and showcase emerging best practices regarding the development of this rare housing type. If you are an ADU enterprenuer, designer, builder, policy-maker, or advocate, we hope that you will be able to attend.
- 2017 ADU Tour Wrap-Up September 12, 2017 2:45 pmThe ADU Tour in Portland on September 9th and 10th was great. 600 people each day attended to see the 12 ADUs featured in NE Portland and the 12 ADUs in SE Portland.
- ADU Tour on September 8th-10th August 24, 2017 2:20 pmThe ADU Tour is just a couple weeks away on September 8-10th. If you are planning to build an ADU, drop whatever else you have planned and clear your schedule for this weekend. This is the largest (and best) ADU Tour in the nation.
- ADU Tour- Early bird sales end August 19th August 3, 2017 6:40 pmEary bird sales for the ADU Tour end on August 19th. You can buy tickets now. It's shaping up to be an awesome event! There's going to be 12 ADUs featured on Saturday in SE and 12 ADUs on Sunday in SE. For those who are only interested in seeing certain ADU structural types, here is the breakdown by day.
- Building An ADU- a new website for those seeking to build ADUs July 3, 2017 3:00 pmBuildinganADU.com is a website geared to homeowners who want to build an ADU on their property, featuring posts and tips that delve into great detail about explaining how much ADUs cost to build using actual costs from recent projects,
- Announcing the 2017 ADU Tour April 24, 2017 2:00 pmWe are excited to announce the next ADU Tour. This tour has an awesome line up, chock-full with awesome and diverse ADU types and styles. It's going to be a full weekend event with 10+ ADUs in NE Portland featured on Saturday, and a different set of 10+ ADUs in SE Portland on Sunday. None of these ADUs have been featured on previous ADU tours before.
- The Ascent of ADUs in Portland February 27, 2017 3:00 pmPortland is leading the pack with ADU development nationally. Data provided by the City of Portland shows the rate of ADU permits issued from 2010-2016. In 2016, 615 permits were issued, 20 times the average number of permits issues each year before Portland's SDC waiver in 2010.