I’m an editor for AccessoryDwellings.org, a site edited by 3 volunteers in Portland, Oregon. It is a one-stop source about accessory dwelling units, multigenerational homes, laneway houses, ADUs, granny flats, in-law units.
Here’s some of my latest posts on that website.
- Announcing the 2017 ADU Tour April 24, 2017 2:00 pmWe are excited to announce the next ADU Tour. This tour has an awesome line up, chock-full with awesome and diverse ADU types and styles. It's going to be a full weekend event with 10+ ADUs in NE Portland featured on Saturday, and a different set of 10+ ADUs in SE Portland on Sunday. None of these ADUs have been featured on previous ADU tours before.
- The Ascent of ADUs in Portland February 27, 2017 3:00 pmPortland is leading the pack with ADU development nationally. Data provided by the City of Portland shows the rate of ADU permits issued from 2010-2016. In 2016, 615 permits were issued, 20 times the average number of permits issues each year before Portland's SDC waiver in 2010.
- ADUs’ Tiny Relatives (video) November 22, 2016 3:00 pmThere's a lot of half-baked information about 'tiny homes' on the web, which leads to confusion and misunderstanding about the differences between ADUs and tiny houses on wheels. I find myself explaing the differences between them at least five times a week. This confusion is largely attributable to media coverage that conflates ADUs and tiny houses on wheels as 'tiny homes'. I'm a fan of both housing forms, but they are extremely different types of housing products.
- Follow Up to the September 2016 ADU Tour September 27, 2016 3:00 pmThe ADU Tour on September 18th was a great event! Over 700 people registered and attendees had a fabulous experience. We aim to make the tour as educational as possible for attendees. Following the tour, we received many comments in the feedback, like this one.
- The ADU Tour is Less Than One Week Away September 12, 2016 3:00 pmThe weather looks like it will be awesome for next week’s city wide ADU Tour. The ADU Tour hosts are excited to open their doors for the tour. In addition to … Continue reading →
- It’s Time to Register for the September 2016 ADU Tour August 10, 2016 1:00 pmThe City-wide ADU Tour is less than six weeks away, and early bird ticket sales end on September 2nd. On the tour, you’ll meet homeowners who have recently completed their ADUs, who … Continue reading →
- Save the Date: ADU Tour–September 17th & 18th June 20, 2016 7:34 pmThe ADU Tour is on for September 17th & 18th, 2016. Learn more and register here. This will be the fourth city wide tour of ADUs. 10+ ADUs will be … Continue reading →
- Words of Advice about the ADU Development Process, from Those Who Have Gone Before You May 23, 2016 5:50 pmQuestion: If you completed an ADU or are in the final stages of building one, what advice would you offer to prospective ADU owner-developers? Below are the 25+ responses to that question from homeowners who actually did it.
- The Second Coming of Detached ADUs in Portland April 27, 2016 7:02 pmReaders of this series may have noticed a positive tone change in the dire title of the series. That's because yesterday, the Oregon Department of Revenue issued a draft rule that steers Multnomah County away from the misguided interpretation that they'd used this year--the interpretation that had caused detached ADUs to trigger a property reassessment-- the interpretation which has caused a dramatic ADU development chilling effect in Portland in the last 6 months.
- The Build Small Lecture Series: Educating and Connecting the Small Home Community March 15, 2016 2:00 pmThis is an announcement for a new presentation series being offered in Portland by Portland Alternative Dwellings, which will cover a range of small house related topics, including ADUs. -Editor April-June, 2016 … Continue reading →