I’m an editor for AccessoryDwellings.org, a site edited by 3 volunteers in Portland, Oregon. It is a one-stop source about accessory dwelling units, multigenerational homes, laneway houses, ADUs, granny flats, in-law units.
Here’s some of my latest posts on that website.
- Backdoor Revolution- Part V- Why Vancouver, BC has Done a Lot of ADU-Related Things Right January 23, 2018 2:00 pmBackdoor Revolution- The Definitive Guide to ADU Development is officially live! ...Vancouver, British Columbia is the North American leader in ADU development. Among the most notable things that Vancouver has done is allowed both a secondary suite and a laneway home on the same property. Other US cities (Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington) are considering this idea now, but to my knowledge, no US cities allow it yet.
- Backdoor Revolution- Part IV- Top Ten Reasons Why Basement Conversion ADUs and Detached ADUs Are Like Chalk and Cheese January 18, 2018 5:00 pmBasement ADUs and detached ADUs are totally different creatures. As I began to write my book and researched ADUs of all types, I strongly considered writing a totally separate book about basement ADUs. I ultimately decided to concurrently capture basement ADUs along with other structural forms in the same ADU book.
- Backdoor Revolution- Part III- Why Fostering ADUs is Different than Fostering other Housing Types January 17, 2018 2:00 pmOne of the reasons that ADUs are especially challenging to foster is that they are generally developed by average homeowners. No other housing type is commonly developed by non-professional developers. If you don’t develop housing as a full-time profession, housing development is complicated and challenging. Actually, even if it IS a full-time profession, housing development is complicated and challenging.
- Backdoor Revolution- Part II- Informal ADUs January 11, 2018 8:45 pmOne significant part of my book research was about informal ADUs. While permitted ADUs are still fairly rare, informal ADU (a.k.a. unpermitted ADUs) are not. In writing Backdoor Revolution, I discovered that informal ADUs have a lot to teach us. The book is now available for pre-order on Amazon.
- Backdoor Revolution – Part I – Origin January 8, 2018 7:27 pmIn 2013, I was observing ADU trends in the US by tracking Google News Alerts and reading academic articles.... I’ve spent the last 2.5 years on this book, and I am proud to finally release it to the world on January 23rd, 2018.
- Building an ADU in L.A.- Part II (excerpt) October 19, 2017 8:32 pmBetween 2003-2016, an average of one hundred permitted ADUs had been developed each year in L.A.. While 100 ADUs a year is something, it's certainly not a lot of housing for a city with a population of nearly four million people, and 1.4 million housing units. But, 2017 has entirely changed the landscape for ADUs in California at large. And, L.A. has done something that no one expected. DRUM ROLL......
- The First National ADU Summit on November 3-5 in Portland September 26, 2017 2:00 pmThe Build Small Live Large Summit is the first ever national gathering of leaders in ADU policymaking, design and development. ADU industry practicioners across the country will convene to share and showcase emerging best practices regarding the development of this rare housing type. If you are an ADU enterprenuer, designer, builder, policy-maker, or advocate, we hope that you will be able to attend.
- 2017 ADU Tour Wrap-Up September 12, 2017 2:45 pmThe ADU Tour in Portland on September 9th and 10th was great. 600 people each day attended to see the 12 ADUs featured in NE Portland and the 12 ADUs in SE Portland.
- ADU Tour on September 8th-10th August 24, 2017 2:20 pmThe ADU Tour is just a couple weeks away on September 8-10th. If you are planning to build an ADU, drop whatever else you have planned and clear your schedule for this weekend. This is the largest (and best) ADU Tour in the nation.
- ADU Tour- Early bird sales end August 19th August 3, 2017 6:40 pmEary bird sales for the ADU Tour end on August 19th. You can buy tickets now. It's shaping up to be an awesome event! There's going to be 12 ADUs featured on Saturday in SE and 12 ADUs on Sunday in SE. For those who are only interested in seeing certain ADU structural types, here is the breakdown by day.